Nick Taylor of Hadley Taylor gives us the historic tales behind the names of some of the Norwich street names.
This week it’s Bluebell Road
Bluebell Road – Eaton Park, then about 72 acres, was opened in 1907. The corporation bought it for £4900 and The Playing Fields and Open Spaces Society paid £900 towards its upkeep. At its western boundary was a narrow wood named Bluebell Wood and a rather steep drop to the river valley was called Eaton Hangs. Then, the road at the foot of the Hangs, leading from Earlham Road past Earlham Hall farm was reopened as a public road reaching to Eaton Street.
Eaton Wood was mentioned in the Domesday book and was a paled wood in 1581. Robert Kett even surveyed the wood and thought about using it as a camp in 1549, but then thought better of it and moved off to Mousehold where he had a better view.
*Nick Taylor’s on 01603 250248
*See Bluebell Road for yourself at maps.google.com and go on streetview